Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Performance Cars | Modified Cars | Young and Learner Drivers | Safely Insured | August 19, 2022

Scroll to top


Young & Learner Drivers: FAQ

Young & Learner Drivers: FAQ
Tina Playle
  • On July 20, 2016

Here at Safely Insured, it isn’t always about performance and modified cars (unfortunately). We also offer young driver insurance, and learner driver insurance through our sister site: InsureLearnerDriver.

Our policies help future petrolheads get on the road and hopefully when they have a bit more experience they can upgrade to one of the many beauties that grace our customer car gallery.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Learner Driver Insurance cover me on my driving test?

Most of our policies do cover driving tests, but it is always best to check with us first. You can also check the policy documentation that would have been emailed to you at the start of your policy. The learner driver policies are valid whilst you hold a Provisional Licence – immediately when you pass your Driving Test and become a Full Licence holder, the policy ends.

Can private practice improve my chances at passing my test?

Yes, the more you practice privately (with a friend or relative) the higher your chance of passing your test becomes. We advocate that you mix your instructor led lessons, with private practice for the best results.

0 hours = 49% pass rate | 1-5 hours = 59% pass rate

6-10 hours = 60% pass rate | 11-15 hours = 63% pass rate

Young and Learner Drivers

Source: Safely Insured


Do I need a qualified Accompanying Driver with me?

While you are learning to drive it is the law to be accompanied by someone who has held a full UK drivers licence for 3 years or more. Our policy also requires for your accompanying driver to between the ages of 25 – 72.  Department of Transport approved driving instructor or a qualified DSA Examiners qualify as acceptable accompanying driver’s regardless of age or length licence has been held.

Please also be aware that you should always have ‘L plates’ clearly visible on the car in which you practice. During your Driving Test, the examiner counts as a qualified accompanying driver.

Does the car need to be insured already with someone else?

If you own the car you will be practising in, you do not need to be insured elsewhere in order to be covered by us. If you are borrowing a car, for example your Dad’s car, then they will need to have their own policy insuring the car in order for you to be able to purchase your own top-up policy through us.

Will it affect their insurance if I crash?

Our top-up policy covers the car when you are driving, or when you were the last person to drive it. If you were responsible for any accident, or if the car was stolen after you had driven it, then the claim would be made against your policy, not the car-owners. For full details please check out the policy documents supplied with your Certificate of Insurance.

Is there any difference between ‘Telematics’ and ‘Black Box’ Insurance?

There isn’t really a difference. Telematics is the technology that is used in Black Box Insurance. Some people simply prefer the name Black Box because that is what it looks like, a little black box unobtrusively attached within your car.


Download your free copy of our Young & Learner Driver Guide for more useful advice.

What is an Excess amount?

Your ‘Excess’ is the amount that you need to pay before your insurance company will cover the costs of an accident. For example, say you do £1000 worth of damage to your car. If your excess is £500, then you pay the first £500 towards the cost, and the insurance company will pay the other £500.

Choosing a higher excess can lower the cost of your insurance premium, but be careful not to choose such a high excess that you wouldn’t be able to afford that cost if you had to. A good starting point is usually £500.

Can I take out an annual policy?

Yes, if you own the car that you will be practising in you can take out annual learner driver insurance with us. Call us prior to taking your test and we can discuss transferring you onto a young driver policy.

If you do not own the car, the longest term cover we can provide is 140 days (5 months).

Any more questions?

If you have any more questions about Learner Driver Insurance, leave a comment below and we’ll happily provide the answers for you. You can also check out the Insure Learner Driver FAQ here.